Do you feel drawn to the life of a flight attendant? Flight attendants play an important role in air travel, working to help passengers feel comfortable and stay safe. With layovers in hundreds of cities around the world, they have the opportunity to experience sights, smells, and tastes that most of us can’t imagine. This article outlines the details of a flight attendant’s job, the qualifications you need to be a candidate for a position, and tips on landing a job with an airline.
Flight attendants are caregivers, customer service professionals, and safety providers. They ensure that passengers have a safe and calm passage while they’re on the plane. They work hard to make sure everyone’s comfortable while constantly wearing a friendly smile. Their responsibilities include:
• Greeting passengers as they board the plane, and thanking them as they exit.
• Helping passengers get seating and stow their luggage in the overhead bins.
• Giving a presentation of the airline’s safety procedures.
• Facilitating beverage and food services.
• Answering passengers’ questions, and calming passengers who are anxious or upset.
• Guiding passengers to safety in the event of an emergency, and administering first aid if necessary.
Airlines are quite selective when it comes to hiring flight attendants; the right candidates must have a special mix of cool-headedness, endurance and the ability to provide excellent customer service. Show that you’re personable, responsible, and that you care about people’s safety and comfort. Be personable and don’t forget to smile.